9 June 2007

Raina's capacity to tell stories and use her imagination is growing! When snuggling before bedtime the other night, Raina confessed "Peyton pushed me. Jaden pushed me too." I confess, upon hearing that my child was being shoved around by two daycare kids, I was mostly enraged and frustrated that I couldn't do anything about it. Instead, I told Raina that I was sorry, and that sometimes kids do mean things, but that she should not do mean things back.

When I asked her what happened next, she said, very forcefully: "Time out, Peyton! Time out, Jaden!" Then she shouted "NO PUSH ME, TIME OUT!" I get the feeling she shouted at the kids too. I needn't have worried. Raina can totally take care of herself.

On the walk home Friday, Raina shared a similar story, in which AJ and Jaden pushed her, but she was very clear again: "NO PUSH ME, TIME OUT!" I'm proud of the little miss for speaking up for herself, but I confess to being very bothered that she has to fight back verbally to protect herself. Oh, the travails of daycare!

This morning, Raina imagined that there was a turtle in the living room. She played with it, pet it, chased it, showed it off to her parents, described its colors, and fed it grass. It was absolutely wonderful to see her imagination at work.

Comments

Emelye said…
Maybe Raina can bring her turtle to the lake in July so we all can meet it/him/her?

Popular Posts