Vacations

Eric and I are leaving soon for a solo venture, which means Raina will stay at home with Samantha for the week. We've discussed the trip with her, and Raina repeats what we've said, but I doubt she understands. Our last conversation ended with her saying either "fun" or "fine" -- a classic child statement to get a parent to stop talking.

The last time that a parent was away for a while was Eric's Bangkok trip. He was gone for five days and I learned many things then. The most notable revelation for me is that single parenting is HARD and I don't want to experience it often. Raina enjoyed all of the mommy and me time for a few days and then it hit her. Where is Daddy? She looked all over the house for him and then confronted me: "Where is Daddy?!?" She got more and more emotional and cried lots when I told her that Daddy was gone for a while. She then searched throughout the house until she found a picture of her and Eric together, and she carried that picture around with her for the next two days. It stayed in her bed at night and she toted it around the house during the day. She was overjoyed when Eric finally returned.

Needless to say, I'm worried how she'll respond to BOTH parents' absences for multiple days. It will be heart-wrenching or fine or some combination of the two. I wish Sam the best of luck.

Comments

Popular Posts