Matching and Memory

Raina is fascinated by the road, and she offers helpful advice about stop signs and traffic signals. In addition, she's learning that each street has its own name and she actively and persistently asks, "What's this one's name, Mommy?" as we drive by street after street after street. She's kinda confused that the street we're on doesn't change its name even though we drive by other streets, but that'll come.

Today we discussed Ross Road, and, since we take Ross all the way up to daycare, I said "we're on Ross" many times in response to Raina's queries. After the third or fourth time, Raina paused, looked at me, and said "like Ross playground?" And when I responded, shocked, in the affirmative, she told me that "Ross road and Ross playground -- they match!"

She was quite proud of this realization. Me too, although I admit to being more dumbfounded and astounded than anything. We haven't been to the Ross playground in months (!) so I was very shocked to hear reference to it this morning. She's using her knowledge and putting together patterns and information. What an exciting process to watch!

Comments

Popular Posts