My kid is already more hip than I am

I was driving Raina home one day and I was flipping through the radio dial. One of the last stations that I check is Y98 FM which is the local pop station which keeps its hip hop + r and b ratio very low but otherwise is standard top 40 stuff. Anyhoo, there is some song on that I've never heard before. Just when the vapid lyrics and repetitive background were causing my face to contort a bit and my hand to reach for the radio dial, my 5 year old daughter suddenly chimes in "I put my hands up, they're playing my song, I know I'm going to be ok. Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh! its a party in the USA!" Fortunately, I found some more room to further contort my face. I asked Raina to explain and apparently she hears it during PE and such. I was similarly mortified when I relayed the incident to my lovely wife and she sings a bit of it as well. Apparently this Miley Cyrus song is quite the thang right now. So yet another sign (as if we needed another) that I am old. My 5 year old is more plugged into the music scene than I am.

Comments

Anonymous said…
At least it's just Miley Cyrus. My four and a half year old knows songs that I don't think the FCC should be allowing on the radio during daytime hours.
Emelye said…
ha ha Atticus likes to bob his head along to the beat of the radios of the cars in the street with their outrageously loud speakers. And he dances too!

Popular Posts