Hi Daddy!

Lola offers a running verbal commentary on everything she sees or experiences.  "Look!  Pretty!"  she exclaims as we pass by holiday lights.  "Hello bus!" and "Goodbye bus!" are stated about 20 times per car trip.  (Lola thinks anything larger than a car is a bus and she gets excited about each one she sees.)  "Hi Daddy!  Hi Gandma!  Hi Mini!  Hi Jo!" she chants each time someone picks up the telephone.  (If your name is not on that list, she won't talk to you on the phone.  Seriously.)

She also calls every adult female "Mommy" and every adult male "Daddy"  I think she does it because she doesn't have the words "woman and man" in her vocabulary and she wants to identify people in pictures and whatnot.  And, usually, all the people she sees are with their children so saying Mommy and Daddy is an accurate statement.  Unfortunately, it backfired on us this weekend.

The Whompton family went to the grocery store and the girls happily were playing in their car cart as I investigated produce.  I heard Lola shout out happily "Hi Daddy!"  Then I felt someone's eyes on me and I looked up.  The man at the end of the aisle was a tall African-American in full military fatigues.  He clearly was not Lola's daddy and he was looking at me quite strangely as he tried to piece together why this little white girl was calling him Daddy.  So I explained half-heartedly, "Oh, I'm so sorry!  She calls every man Daddy!"  I then received a pitying look, and he paused to determine the best thing to say, and then came up with "That's bizarre."  He gave me another strange look, shook his head, and walked away.  I, of course, started laughing hysterically and I ran throughout the store to find Eric so I could 1) tell the story and 2) show the other man that I already have a baby daddy. 

Time to add to Lola's vocabulary!

Comments

Popular Posts