Krystal v. Scam Artists

I know that the Whompton blog is mostly dedicated to kid stories, but I was so flabbergasted by this experience that I had to share it. 

Saturday we received a phone call with an automated statement:  "This is an important message about your credit card.  Nothing is wrong.  You have an opportunity to lower your interest rate but you must act now!  Press 9 to speak with a customer service representative."

Eric and I have no credit card debt to speak of, but I am immensely curious in finding out more information (like who these people are, which credit card company they're affiliated with, etc.) so, of course, I press 9.  I am transferred to an individual with a very distinctive accent in a raucously loud call center.  He immediately starts his spiel and tries to convince me to give him my credit card number.

KSW:  "Sir, what is the name of your company?" 
He responds with the exact same scripted spiel.  I ask my question again; he responds with the same script; I ask, he recites.  Finally he responds with "Why does it matter?" 
This question stuns me and I give him honesty, "I have no proof that you are reputable!" 
His reply:  "We are a very reputable company!  We have a Chief Financial Officer!"
KSW:  "But you don't have a company name?"
He transfers me to his manager.

The manager opens with "I understand that you have a problem with my representative."  I admit, my only problem is that he refuses to share the company name.  The manager volunteers it readily; the company is called "Financial Services of Visa and Mastercard."  Of course, this is preposterous.  He swears that it's authentic but admits there's no website or anything that I can check.  I thank him for his time and the manager, believing me to be appeased, inquires whether I am interested in lowering my interest rate.  I confess to being satisfied with my interest rate and the manager, now, is confused as to why I'm still talking with him.

KSW:  I'm on the Do Not Call List.
Manager:  So what?
KSW:  I needed your company's name so that I can report you to my state's Attorney General. 
Manager:  (immediately backtracking)  Oh, I see.  Ma'am, I'm not supposed to give out this phone number, but you can call it and talk with our local company and verify this information.  They may not be willing to talk with you because I'm not supposed to give out the number, but I will give it to you anyway.  It's 314-576-2663.
KSW:  Sir, that's MY phone number.
Manager:  Uh, uh, I meant this is the number ....
And then he hung up the phone. 

Do I declare this a righteous victory?  Unfortunately not.  Those guys were ready to pounce on anyone who pressed 9 and had a credit card number.  I hope that no one fell victim to them.

Comments

Popular Posts