The sickness season begins.

The Whompton adults have felt rather lucky.  It's December and we had not experienced a single sick day since March.  And, I tell you, it is marvelous to have healthy kids and healthy adults.  But, of course, we couldn't keep the viruses away, and one by one we started getting sick with the stomach flu.

Last Tuesday Samantha felt queasy, very tired, and a little off.  By Tuesday afternoon she felt fine.  Last Thursday Lola went past the "queasy stage" and thus began the negotiation of "who goes home with the kid?"  I took her home from school, she promptly slept for three hours, and then she was raring to go.  Eric fell victim Saturday night and was unsettled all Sunday.  Raina woke up Wednesday night feeling terrible and she had a bad hour or so, but has been perfectly normal ever since. 

I'm staying home with Raina today and, since she's feeling fine, I envisioned a mommy-daughter day in pjs.  We were going to paint a suncatcher that she had and watch a movie and read books and I, of course, would clean.  I told her the plan, she seemed incredibly excited, and I jumped into the shower.

Eric and Lola were back in the house when I finished my shower.  Apparently Lola's daycare is closed today due to "icy conditions" and so I had both kids for the day.  All my original plans for the day went out the window, as I envisioned trying to paint with Lola around (disaster) or watch a movie (she's never done it, and she wouldn't have the patience).  She's game on for books but my reading to them for 8 hours today would stretch my sanity to the breaking point.

So what did I do?  I ignored them.  And, miraculously, they started to play with each other.  Raina and Lola played catch, rolled a big ball around, chased, climbed up and down from the furniture, and played with the train set.  They played with each other for a good 3 hours straight!  That's never really happened before and I made good use of their preoccupation.  I cleaned the kitchen, living room, and dining room.  I scoured the bathrooms.  I used an incredible amount of bleaching agents on our surfaces, etc., in a valiant attempt to rid our home of pathogens.  I washed an insane amount of laundry.  I made dinner.  I made thank-you gifts for the wonderful people covering my classes today.  And it's only 1 p.m.! 

Normally weekends are not this productive because the kids bicker semi-constantly.  I wonder what is magical about the "sick and snow day" that has my kids liking each other so much?!?

Comments

Popular Posts