Giving Blood: A Success Story

My father regularly gave blood during my youth.  Every 8 weeks, usually on Friday afternoons, he'd drive to the Western Kentucky Blood Center, be strapped in, and donate.  We three kids frequently accompanied him on these trips and I distinctly remember 1) how fast he was -- usually done donating in 5 minutes, 2) how cool it was that he had three choices of soda, and 3) how he clearly valued doing this action for others.  The Blood Center had displayed plaques with listings of people and how many gallons of blood they had donated over the years.  I was so eager to see my dad's name on the wall (he eventually got there) and to get my name on the wall too.

In Owensboro, you have to be 16 years old to donate, so my first trip was on my 16th birthday.  I honestly don't remember if I was successful then or not, because I was turned away from donating countless times.  There were three factors that kept me on the "decline" list and I quickly learned the minimum cut-offs: blood pressure needed to be 90/50 or higher, pulse rate needed to be 50 beats per minute or higher, and iron count needed to be 12.5.  I rarely passed all three criteria.  I actually started doing jumping jacks right before walking in to the center, so that at least my pulse rate would be over 50 bpm.  I also acquired another piercing during that time, which put me on the "decline" list for a while.

I was exceptionally determined, though, so if I was declined one day then I would return the next and then the next and the next until I passed.  Fifty six days later, I'd be back at the center ready to start the process again.  I didn't make it to the "donor wall" but I did receive a commendation letter and a little pin once I had donated a full gallon of blood. 

I learned a new restriction once I started donating in college.  There is a time limit on the amount of time giving blood should take.  If you don't fill up the bag in 20 minutes, then the blood isn't usable for patients and it's instead used for research.  I hit that 20 minutes cut-off more than once -- many times because my vein just stopped giving blood -- and it was so incredibly disappointing.  After 6 or 7 times of this, I stopped trying to donate.  My last successful donation was when I was 23 years old.

The Ethical Society hosted a Blood Drive on Friday, so I decided to give it another chance.  I was prepared for disappointment, so my elation was clearly visible when I passed the blood pressure, pulse, and iron checks.  The phlebotomist successfully stuck me on the first try and then I filled up the bag in 5 minutes!  Woohoo!  I was positively euphoric about it, and I'm eager to go back in 56 days to try it again.  I hope to again make this a regular part of my service to others.

Comments

Lance said…
Congrats!

I'm glad the Society hosted a Blood Drive - I would have donated myself, but I gave at the office.

For once, the cliche is true :)

Popular Posts