26 June 2007

We went to the video store over the weekend, and Raina wanted to help choose the movie. She'd bring one over, like Bob the Builder, and then we'd say, "Nope, that's not the one we're looking for" and she'd put it back on the shelf and try something else. As you might imagine, Raina didn't get any of the movies she wanted, so, during yesterday's video venture, she got creative. I gave her The Queen to hold while we chose another movie, and I asked her to bring it up to the counter so we could check out. What made it to the counter? RV, an atrocious Robin Williams movie, which, to her, looked like lots more fun than what I had chosen. She was amply disappointed that I noticed and put it back.

The Whomptons do not have a pet and the closest thing we have is an American Sycamore named Fred. Fred is the first and last of his planted brethern to survive, so he holds a very dear place in our hearts. Actually, he almost perished the week Raina was born; our being at the hospital, severe drought, and then VERY severe storms caused him to fold over in two. We were so upset that we called the tree doctor and had him come out for consultation. The doctor said Fred would be fine, and he is. Anyway, Raina and I periodically check how Fred is doing and marvel at how he's grown. During a recent check-up, I noticed that large beetles were munching on Fred's leaves, and that they'd done some serious damage. I declared, "We need a bat!", scowled at the beetles, and then went into the house. Raina, recognizing Fred's plight, immediately brought the wiffle ball bat so we could go help Fred. It was very sweet of her to try, and it reminded me of the turkey story.

We used to play recognition games: "go bring me a ball, Raina!" and Raina would toddle around until she found a ball and returned it to you. Once, I asked for a turkey, meaning the stuffed turkey right behind her. She looked at me confused, and I repeated "turkey." She kinda shrugged, and then walked into the kitchen. A few minutes later, I found her trying to pull the fridge door open, so that she could get some deli turkey for me. I laughed for a while over that one.

Raina received a farm set yesterday. It has a barn, all the typical farm animals, trees, grass, milk jugs, harnesses, wagons, a pond, and fencing. The thing is amazing, and Raina played with it for two hours straight last night. Technically, every item is a choking hazard, but it was an easy decision -- the thing is too cool to chew on. Instead, she and Sam built a large pen for all the animals and Raina delighted in moving the cows and pigs and horses around. The best part: not once during the whole farm time did Raina ask for the "Ya-yo" song, otherwise known as "Old MacDonald has a farm." We sing it every time we're in the car, so we adults rejoiced to see Raina play with farm animals without wanting to sing about them too.

Comments

Popular Posts