A tough week for getting to bed

Its been a tough week for Raina. Krystal has been out of town which certainly has had some impact on her stability. But on Wednesday night this week, something else was wrong. She kept talking about the "undor". Saying it was outside. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what she was talking about. She would occasionally say, "front door" but this was not the same thing as "undor". She also talked about it coming in the front door and through the window. Clearly she was scared of something getting in the house, but I couldn't reassure her very well until I figured out what it was. Finally I translated it "Thunder", she was scare of the thunder which apparently encompassed the concept of lightning as well (which can come in the window in a way). She refused to leave the cuddle chair as she continued to talk about the thunder coming into her room. Telling her simply that it was nothing to worry about didn't seem to help much. So I asked her if she remembered how occasionally Daddy would be hiding and that she didn't know where. Then suddenly I would jump out and scare her. And for a moment she would be surprised (not scared), but then she would realize "oh thats just daddy" "daddy's silly". So I told her to do the same thing with the thunder and the lightning. If any happens its ok to be surprised, but then you just say "that's just thunder" "silly thunder". And then I told her that she needed to make sure the cow wasn't scared and tell the cow that it was just thunder. This seemed to appease her sufficiently for her to go to sleep.

Comments

Emelye said…
I wonder if Raina remembers the big storm at the lake house last year. I sure do. I remember us sitting around the table telling ourselves, "Silly Thunder," while the lightning CRACKed on the tin roof, and we watched each other to see which one would be the first to run away and hide under a bed.
KSW said…
I, in fact, was the first to run and cower ... and I made certain to take the little miss with me as my excuse!

Popular Posts