Imaginative play

Do you remember when you were a kid and you could go off into an imaginary world and play endlessly? After dabbling in the past, Raina has gone down the rabbit hole and plays constantly. Pretty much anytime she is home you can find her somewhere in the house chattering to herself a dialogue between multiple characters. All in all this is a positive change as Raina traditionally has a tendency to get bored without some kind of parent sponsored entertainment stimulus plan. So while it is fantastic that Raina's happiness and activity is self sustaining, its gotten to the point that she often rejects playing with her parents in the traditional ways - (reading books, playing board games, chase and such). For the most part my attempts to participate in her fantasy world have failed as I usually get rather non-sensical explanations for her world. Example - she is playing in the bath tub right now and was addressing Mr. Soap. I inquired what Mr. Soap was doing, with the reply of "playing with spoonynot". Then she said something about making lunch, proceeded by speaking gibberish. Hopefully I can join in the fun at some point.

Comments

KSW said…
Sometimes her play is really rooted in shocking reality. The other day she asked me to play the kitty game. When I asked what the kitties were doing, she replied "Mommy, they're dead." In response to my shocked, "So what do I do?" she said "You need to take them to the hospital!" So I "drove" the kitties (actually red and purple markers) to the animal hospital (really the pantry) and watched as Raina brought them back to life with shots and hugs.

I was stunned by her use of the word dead. Thankfully they were resuscitated easily.
Emelye said…
Something about Raina's stories reminds me of the logic in Alice in Wonderland.

And how the imaginative play is unfiltered by grown-up expectations of realism or etiquette... it's marvelous.

Popular Posts