Health Scares

As infants, Eric and his sister Stephanie had pyloric stenosis, a condition that causes the child's GI tract to narrow over time, thereby resulting in a lot of vomiting and the child not receiving proper nutrition. We've been a little paranoid about our children developing the same condition, and so Krystal became quite alarmed when Lola vomited three times on Tuesday, including one time while nursing. We consulted the pediatrician who was reasonably confident Lola just had reflux. We are supposed to alert him if vomiting continued, and it hasn't. We are incredibly thankful for that; we certainly didn't want her to be sick and have surgery.

Unfortunately, Dr. Lazaroff heard something wrong with her heart, and he ordered an echocardiogram for her. Both Eric and I have had echos done, and mine merited an official diagnosis, so I wasn't immediately alarmed. Just a minor heart murmur was my initial prognosis. But then he said "we need to ensure she doesn't have a hole in between the chambers of her heart," which certainly is cause for alarm, and has my chanting for heart murmur over and over again. So Lola met with her cardiologist, had her echo done (which she fervently hated), and was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Overall, this is not something to be worried about, and is something that she may outgrow over time.

Lola's two health scares of the week: lots of drama, but very little substance. Hallelujah!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so grateful that everything is okay. I didn't realize how scary all this stuff can be until I had one of my own. Karina is having tubes put in her ears on Thursday. She'll be 'put under' for 8 minutes. That will be the longest 8 minutes of my life.

Popular Posts