Single Parenthood

Let me start this post by emphatically stating: any person who chooses to be a single parent is insane and, as a corollary, I do not understand how millions of single parents function in this world. I sent Samantha and Eric to DC this week -- my Father's Day gift to Eric was time not as a father -- and therefore spent the week with my two girls. I spend 24 hours a day with Lola and we have our routine down rather well. My concern was Raina, who is apt to be bored, demanding, and annoying (to me) in her repeated attempts to get what she wants after specifically told no.

What I've learned as a parent, especially during my summers with Raina, is that unstructured time becomes frustrating time. As a result, I structured every moment that Raina and I spent together. We played t-ball, took baths, colored a lot, went to the zoo, tried a new restaurant, put together a pirate costume, completed her "child of the week" assignments, had gymnastics, went to the grocery store and Target and the bakery, hit the Y, and picked up Eric and Samantha from the airport. I structured every moment up to picking up the other adults, and I had great success. However, I cannot imagine having to do this everyday of my life, and I immensely grateful that Eric is back home.

Comments

Popular Posts