Slow Starvation

It's official: I am the cause of Lola's stunted growth. Or, more accurately, my exercise routine coupled with my diet have created a situation in which I don't pass on many calories to Lola when she nurses. All the breastfeeding books I had read assured me that mothers always make the "perfect food for their babies" and that exercise is encouraged. According to Lola's doctor, though, my exercising for endurance means my breast milk doesn't provide enough sustenance for her. In hindsight, this -- not the temperature of our house -- must have been the cause of Raina's extreme drop in weight as well.

So we've made modifications and have a nice schedule of alternating breast and bottle that seems to work. I nurse Lola every four hours (instead of every two) so I can bulk up a caloric hit for her, and we give her 4-6 ounces of formula at the 2 hour mark after nursing.

Lola always has been a happy, smiley, and active baby, but she's been off the charts in exuberance since we've begun the new feeding routine. I'm so glad we figured out the problem, and that it was with me rather than with her. It's okay, I didn't plan a career as a wet nurse anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts