Lola's Birthday Mystery

Today is Lola's first birthday and she celebrated with a large pasta dinner, her own slice of bread, and a banana dessert. The real gift is switching her car seat to forward-facing; there's not a better gift (to all of us!) than a happier Lola in the car.

Lola received another gift too, but we cannot figure it completely out. In my school mailbox today was an official business-looking envelope. The return address was the Treasury Department, with the standard imposing font, and it was addressed to Lola White (and, in smaller font, at the bottom, Crystal White). I was furious and confused by this piece of mail.
1) Lola's name is not Lola White.
2) Lola certainly does not live at MICDS.
3) My first name was misspelled.
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how this strange amalgamation of information ended up on a junk-mail list. I never pieced it together.

We opened the envelope at home tonight and -- much to our surprise -- determined that the mail is legitimate. Someone (and we don't know who) purchased Lola a $50 savings bond. Now comes the 2nd part of the puzzle. Who might have
1) known it was Lola's birthday and
2) felt compelled to get her a gift
3) worth a sizable amount
4) and not know much about her (or us, for that matter)?

We eliminated Eric's parents because they gave Lola a gift last week and my parents -- although my mom likes savings bonds as gifts, she does know Lola's real name and address. My extended family was an option but they never would have listed Lola as a White. In fact, most call me a Compton even though I have made a point for the past 10 years to stress that I'm still a White.

My best guess is that one of last year's students and/or parents gave Lola the savings bond as a gift. Very few of the kids know that my children and I have different last names, and it would explain the MICDS address. But, in the end, who knows?

If it was from you, we thank you very much. Claim the gift so we can send you a thank you note and resolve Lola's birthday mystery!

Comments

Popular Posts