Metaphysical Pondering

A conversation with Raina bounces from topic to seemingly unrelated topic.  Last night's dinner began with a red salad (with beets, strawberries, and red leaf lettuce) so we talked about beets for a while and how darkly colored vegetables are healthier than paler ones.  Then her next conversation starter floored me.
Raina:  Mommy, where do we come from?
KSW:  (Clarifying the question)  Do you mean where do we live?

Raina:  No, who made me?
KSW:  Daddy and I made you.

Raina:  Who made you and Daddy?
KSW:  Our parents did:  Mama Jo and Papa Bill made Daddy and Grandma and Papaw made me.

Raina:  (Getting a little exasperated because I'm not answering the question she's trying to ask)  No, who made ALL the people? 
KSW:  I don't know.  People believe different things.  Some people believe that a god or gods made all living things; some people believe that the Earth and Sun and Moon made us; some people believe that living things keep changing and people occurred as a result.  I don't know which is right.

Raina:  Well, who made the first Mommy and Daddy?
KSW: I don't know, sweetie. I know who made me, and who made my parents, and who made my parents' parents, but there is a whole bunch of things I don't know, and I cannot go back in time to find out who made the very first Mommy and Daddy. 

Raina:  I think it's God.
KSW:  Hmm.

Raina:  Or that the Earth made us.
KSW:  Okay.

Raina:  Hmm.  Can I dip my celery in my water glass?
And thus began a conversation about turgidity and osmosis and absorbtion. 

Comments

Popular Posts