Problem Solving

I'm an educator -- a math teacher of middle school students -- and I live in the world of kids giving up on a subject or problem.  There are a ridiculously large number of reasons why a student may back away from a problem and it is my job to coax and coach him through it, help him identify the resources and strategies at hand, and encourage him to try the next problem independently.  

Then there are the questions I refuse to answer in any helpful manner, ones that any amount of self-initiative would have taken care of independently.  My answer to all of these types of questions is the same: "I think you can problem solve this one on your own."  

Raina and Lola have heard that line from me more than a few times themselves, so I was delighted today to hear this exchange between my girls while they were in the kitchen.

Raina:  You'll need a bowl.
Lola (standing underneath the cabinet with the bowls):  Will you get me a bowl, Raina?  
Raina: (pointed look at Lola and then the cabinet)
Lola:  Oh!  I can problem solve this one myself!  

She then fetched the step stool, stood on tip-toe, reached far back, and grabbed her bowl.  I didn't expect to hear my words repeated back with meaning and understanding, instead of mockery or disdain.  Excellent!

Comments

Popular Posts