Summer Plans 2020 and 2021

The Whomptons had elaborate (for us) summer plans.

Last May, we made Raina's year by agreeing to send her to Greece with her best school friends for 10 days.  She's never been on a plane before, and she's super excited and, honestly, nervous about hitting that life milestone.  No Whompton has ever been to Europe (unless Samantha's single afternoon at the Rock of Gibraltar counts), so she's thrilled to be the first one to explore this continent and soak up all the history and culture with her fellow Latin friends.  It's what she has been looking forward to the most this entire year.  And now, due to COVID-19, the trip is not happening and it's uncertain when, in the future, it will be an option for them again.

I had applied for a three-week math teacher program, stationed in Park City, Utah, which was the best combination of having professional development during the day and hiking in beautiful scenery in the afternoons and weekends.  I was doing this trip on my own, my very first trip by myself, and I had plans to explore multiple national parks that are on my bucket list.  I learned weeks ago that the Utah program has been cancelled too.

The other item on this summer plan is the Compton family beach trip.  Eric's family has gone to Litchfield, South Carolina, almost every summer for the past 45 years.  The Whomptons join every other year, and take an epic national park trip on the other summer.  2020 is a beach-trip summer -- assuming things settle down by July / August -- and 2021 is a national park summer.  I keep eyeing all our camping gear, neatly organized in the basement, and I get itchy for a camping trip.

Planning the big trips takes some time, lots of planning, and I usually book everything a year in advance. Raina's Greece trip, my Utah program, and a national park adventure are all being considered for a future time if/when we return back to normal. I honestly don't know whether to contemplate the world being "normal" in the next few years. It seems overly optimistic to plan on vacations for summer 2021, at this point.  Even so, a girl can dream.

Comments

Popular Posts